Junior Achievement interviewed me recently and asked me what my 10 tips for entrepreneurs would be, given my own experience as an entrepreneur and my research for Accidental Branding. Here’s what I came up with – let me know what you think:
- Focus on the people who really believe in you: they will propel your career.
- Make very few promises and keep all of them.
- Be generous with your time. Try to help people without keeping a balance sheet in your head.
- Understand what you do well and strive to get even better at it.
- Be known for something. Be memorable.
- Don’t fit in. Successful entrepreneurs and successful senior executives are often non-conformists.
- Read as much as you can. Read fiction and biography and magazines that do not relate to your career interests.
- Learn from as many people as you can. Seek out great training organizations early in your career.
- Be opportunistic. Know what you want in life, but be flexible about how to get there. Keep your eyes open for different paths to success.
- Find people you admire and befriend them. These are usually people that bring out the best in you.